Chasing a Better You

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Speaking in Tongues While Praying

Prayer in the Spirit Speaking in tongues involves the engagement of a believer's spirit with God's Spirit. Paul distinguishes between praying in the spirit (and in tongues) and praying with the mind. "if I pray in this way (in tongues), my spirit prays indeed, but my mind has no part in it". (1 Cor 14:14, GNT) There have been so many discussions concerning this particular gift of God that I felt led to promote a discussion among God's believers. This particular gift is not given to every believer. To that end, why is it a gift that is not as widely accepted by those who are blessed with it as well as not readily received by those who are not? I admit that my first encounter with a saint who operated in this spiritual area of giftedness was shocking and disconcerting to me. Why? I simply didn't understand it. It frightened me. It didn't coincide with what I had been exposed to in my traditional worship experience. Since then, I've been blessed with this gift. It didn't help matters when I found out how widespread the discomfort was in the general body of Christ. Our humanity simple becomes an unmanageable discomfort and this produces unfortunately condemnation. We shun things that are different; when they don't fit into our nice, neat package of limitedness. You do agree that we are limited right? Things we can't initially understand or explain away are the things that we generally dismiss as not having any tangible value. But God is not interested in our comfort. God is interested in our faith and service. I am convinced and assured that God does speak to those that answer His call. This move of God permits us to do something beyond self. Perhaps your initial stirrings to answer God came by way of tragedy or by a process of maturity regarding life's experiences. No matter the situation, the need drives an insatiable desire to subscribe to a higher power. Once we give ourselves away, we enter in and gain the eternal prize; a covenant relationship with God. This relationship imparts God's spirit within us. We are then granted the opportunity and privilege to talk to God in prayer. As we mature, we step into our gifts. Speaking in tongues while praying is a mystical language that is known to God and/or God's angels. It is an unconscious act that takes place when spirit takes over mind. Speaking in tongues emerges when the human spirit is in alignment with the Spirit of God. This degree of communication has to supersedes human interpretation. It literally moves a child of God from the living room floor, an altar, the car (any place you choose to pray) into the holy of holies; a place where the unmanifested becomes manifested! Isn't it great to share in a language that only God understands? Tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment